Sunday, January 29, 2006

The State of Sports Jan 29th

Baseball

-Sox on free TV
Once again the Sunday Globe knows how to hit home. Shaugnessy's article writes about one of those things you look forward to every friday. Friday Night Baseball! Every Friday night I would turn off the radio and just sit back and watch some baseball (much to my little sisters dismay) in the living room, before anyone would get home. If I was old enough to drink, id be drinking beers, too. Man would it be heaven. But Shaugnessy brings up a very important point, What about the people that dont have cable?

Ever since the third grade, when I told kids that I didnt have cable at home, they said I was nuts. In fact, people still think my dads on drugs when I tell people I live without the Internet at home. But, my family is in the majority of people in this New England region that dont have cable. The only time I get to even see a Red Sox game live is when either I am there, or when im at school watching NESN up here. So, now all I have are the random games that will be broadcasted on Fox with Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. McCarver, by the way, is one of the worst analysts that I am forced to listen to on the air. He says the dumbest things, is a clear and biased Yankees fan (not that thats a bad thing), and his contract shouldnt be renewed.

There is only one article announcing that the Sox would no longer be broadcasting the games on public television. The Worcester Telegram and Gazette quotes the president of NESN, Sean McGrail as saying that it is a "natural progression." "The games of more than 30 other pro sports teams are televised exclusively on cable," so maybe it just makes sense. Also, McGrail says "a low single-digit percentage of viewers don't subscribe to cable or satellite TV." The reporter then asks the question "what about those die hard Red Sox fans who dont subscribe?" McGrails response: "One hundred and 26 of them or so were on NESN last year. How much of a diehard fan were you if you didn't watch all those games?"

The bottom line is its a business. You try to make a lot of money for the highest revenue possible. Obviously the people at NESN really dont care about the people who can't watch, or cant afford to watch the Red Sox on TV. It's a damned shame that you now are forced to choose to pay the heating bill or watch the best team in baseball on live cable.

Someone should have a petition online to petition the people at NESN. Thousands of people who dont have access to cable should be able to say how they feel on this matter. If I knew how to build a website, I would do it. I would even fund the project. I would stand on a soapbox and let my voice be heard, along with anyone else who is out there with me.

I just hope it isnt a small number.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home