Saturday, February 04, 2006

The State of Sports Feb 4th

-Football

-Super Bowl Preview
Im going to be perfectly honest. I really dont care about this Superbowl. I dont care who wins. I dont care who looses. I am getting drunk watching one of the most interesting Super Bowl matchups i've seen in 10 that i've been old enough to see. If there was going to be a least watched Superbowl, id have to say this one will so out-do the Baltimore-Giants game (least-watched game in history).

I've asked several people what they think about this matchup. Some say Pittsburgs defense is too unbelievable not to win this game. Others say Seattles got too good an offense with Hasselback and Alexander. One person said its gonna be a close low-scoring game. Bosoxguy has said four times that the final score will be 34-17. The pro-sports beat writer for my school newspaper said, "Supporting either one of these teams would be like saying that I support mediocrity." And I couldn't agree with Rudzi more.

You have Pittsburg, the team that everyone wrote off when they were bottom seeded and even lucky to get a wild-card spot. As though they destined to be in the Super Bowl, they beat Cincinati because Carson Palmer got injured, they beat Indianapolis because Payton Manning shit the bed, and they beat Denver because they stopped the running game. Pittsburg is also coached by Bill Cower. Man can this man make a photograph. The man could break the camera if it had a lens in it.


But, can he coach a football team. Among one of the most sucessful in the last ten years of the AFC, he has drafted well. He in the last three drafts he has drafted Heath Miller, Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu in the first round. Miller, a top TE from Virgina, has done an excellent job not only blocking in a run first offense, but spreading the defense thin with his passing threat down the middle. Roethlisberger, last years rookie of the year, has proven time and time again he can be a force. His two year quarterback record is 26-6. Polamalu has long hair. I cant think of any other person who just might make the NFL have a hair rule next year. Not only that but he has helped lead this defense to give up 86 yards per game (3rd NFL ranked).

I give props to Seattle. One of the most consistent teams over the course of the season, they carry one of the most potent offenses in the league. Led by former BC quarterback Matt Hasselback, he knows how to spread the ball around. If he doesnt get the job done, then NFL MVP Shaun Alexander will get the job done. And just like that, you have an offense that rivals that of the AFC tandem of Edgerin James, and Payton Manning. It's scary how this team has put up points (28.3) and yards (369.7) over the course of the season, being in the top two of both categories.

I have been saying for the past two weeks that Seattles got a very good offense and mediocre defense. I think that Pittsburgs got a good defense, but they are shaky on offense. This equals for a close game. I think Seattles got the intangibles, and thats who im picking. This should make for one of the most interesting/least watched superbowls ever.

Meanwhile, I will enjoy watching the plethra of commericals that I am always impressed with. I will also enjoy the Rolling Stones halftime show. I sure hope they do "Miss You." I friggen love that song.

-Random Notes of Note:
-I try and be bold last Tuesday. I make a comment/post on The Away Teams blog after I try to attempt to answer a comment made about the catcher situation, and I get blasted. The other two members of the blog more-less copy an opinion of what Gammons said a month ago. I was being the random idiot that ive always been, but I think that my comment was rudly cast aside like a caller who doesnt know what they are talking about on WEEI. I may not subscribe to the RSS Service like other bloggers on this site, but I have continue to have valid and good opinions about sports in general. I may be random, but please if you dont like anything I have to say, dont toss it aside.

-If you would like to check out this weeks sports section of "The Comment" (my school newspaper) online, here is the link. I have three articles, the interview with Derek Thompson is good, and the superbowl preview is priceless. But unlike every online college newspaper you have to register, so buyer beware.

-The Sox deal with Gonzalez is interesting because they can still cut him if he doesnt make the squad. If an all-star caliber defense shortstop is makes a contract with the Red Sox and doesnt make the squad because hes getting replaced by someone internally, man would that be interresting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home